Offered by Rigpa's Spiritual Care Program since 2003.
For clinicians, the Contemplative End of Life Care program is training in the fundamentals of therapeutics - listening with our heart open, being fully attentive, fully present. By deepening our contemplative practice we deepen our professional practice.
~ Dr. Ira Byock, MD, international leader in palliative care and author of "Dying Well" and "The Best Care Possible"
The course combines 15-weeks of on-line learning with an 8-day residential retreat at Light on the Hill in upstate New York, and addresses crucial training needs most frequently requested by professionals, including:
- communicating about dying and death
- enhancing empathy and compassion
- helping patients find new meaning, sources of strength, and ways to make a genuine connection with loved ones
- facilitating the process of healing relationships, resolving unfinished business, and saying goodbye
- creating a peaceful environment for dying
- supporting the bereaved
- healing / preventing burnout
The Contemplative End-of-Life Care Certificate Program, inspired by Sogyal Rinpoche's The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying, brings together authentic and practical contemplative resources with the knowledge and skills of modern hospice and palliative care.
It offers the unique opportunity to study and practice together in a community of like-minded peers from across the country and abroad.
Who Should Apply
Professionals working in the fields of medicine, human and social services, and students and trained volunteers who are currently engaged in a clinical setting, whether new to contemplative practice or experienced, are encouraged to apply.